Postponed: proposal team science subsidy
Proposal for Pre-Seed Team Science Subsidy postponed
Right now there are more important things to do for many people than preparing grant proposals based on new collaborations. Thus, the deadline for proposals for the Healthy Brain Pre-Seed Team Science Subsidy is postponed. The new submission date will be communicated in due time.
We hope you all are in good health. Take care of yourselves and each other.
Project team Healthy Brain Study.
Call for proposals Deadline approaching!
The aim of the Healthy Brain pre-seed subsidy is to support researchers from Radboud campus that plan to use the Healthy Brain Study for developing a grant-proposal (EU, national, regional) to fund a research project based on new collaborations crossing disciplines.Read more
Call for proposals Deadline approaching!
Call for proposals - Healthy Brain Pre-Seed Team Science Subsidy - Deadline March 31, 2020!
The aim of this pre-seed subsidy is to support researchers from Radboud campus that plan to use the Healthy Brain Study for developing a grant-proposal (EU, national, regional) to fund a research project based on new collaborations crossing disciplines. This subsidy can be used flexibly for instance, for the set-up of new consortia, for analysis of bio-samples and data collected by the Healthy Brain Study, or for the support in grant writing for collaborative projects. Regardless, it is important that the pre-seed subsidy supports new collaborations across campus and leads to a competitive submission of a proposal to an external grant provider.
• The pre-seed subsidy is a collaboration between researchers from at least three multiple disciplines working on Radboud campus.
• The focus of the pre-seed subsidy and the envisioned external grant application uses Healthy Brain Data.
• A researcher is allowed to join only one pre-seed subsidy.
• The application is of high (scientific) quality. When proposals are assessed as of equal quality, a newly set-up collaboration is favored over a pre-existing one.
• The pre-seed subsidy represents a value of up to 25k€ and has to be supported by a clear budget plan. If analysis of bio-samples and data collected by the Healthy Brain Study is required, a maximum of 25k€ can be requested additionally.
• The project is feasible with the funded subsidy and within the proposed time span. The project plan includes the steps towards a successful external grant application and maximizes the chance of obtaining external funding for the continuation of the project idea.
• The proposed external call is known and accompanying application deadlines are clear or at least indicated.
• Collaboration between disciplines is evident. The project’s aim cannot be met without the joint expertise of all team members.
• The project is innovative, can be both fundamental or applied and requires team science.
Evaluation and Selection
The scientific board of the Healthy Brain study and grant advisors from RU, Radboudumc and MPI review all proposals and submits a ranking to the Healthy Brain steering committee, which selects the to-be granted pre-seed subsidies.
Every member of the scientific board evaluates the proposals according to the following criteria: scientific quality (50%), feasibility of project and likelihood of obtaining external funding (25%), new collaboration across disciplines (25%). Projects that do not fulfill the general criteria and required focus will not be taken into consideration. The evaluation committee must come to a unanimous ranking. If no consensus can be reached, the chairman will make the final decision.
What can the money be spent on (more concrete)?
• participation in matchmaking/brokerage events, information days.
• participation in relevant platforms, networks or committees (working groups, boards, etc.)
• analysis of bio-samples and data collected by the Healthy Brain Study required for the intended grant-application
• organize workshops, consortium-meetings with external partners, etc.
• visits to (potential) consortium-partners
• project development activities for collaborative proposals
Costs can include salary, consultancy (e.g. for grant application), subcontracted work, conference costs, travel expenses, etc.
The amount must be spent before the deadline of the call for external funding.
October 2, 2019: Healthy Brain campus meeting on Team Science, opening/publication of the pre-seed call
March 31, 2020, 23.59hr: Deadline for the submission of the proposal
April 2020: Applications will be evaluated by the scientific board
May 2020: Announcement of winning proposals
June-September 2020: Start of pre-seed projects
Submitted grant application at external funding body in 2021
For more information
Lucy Overbeek, project manager Healthy Brain Study, firstname.lastname@example.org
Here you find all published newsletters.
Newsletter 11 - March 2020
Newsletter 10 - December 2019
Newsletter 9 - November 2019
Newsletter 8 - October 2019
Newsletter 7 - September 2019
Newsletter 6 - August 2019
Newsletter 5 - July 2019
Newsletter 4 - June 2019
Newsletter 3 - May 2019
Newsletter 2 - April 2019
Newsletter 1 - March 2019
If you want to receive our newsletter in your e-mail, subscribe here.
Progress meeting October 2
How team science can make a difference!
All researchers and others involved in the Healthy Brain Study on the Radboud Campus are invited for our next Progress Meeting that takes place on Wednesday, October 2, 2019 between 13.00 and 17.00, in the Red Room at the Trigon building (Kapittelweg 29).
We are pleased to announce that Professor Heino Falcke from Radboud University will explain how a large-scale team effort led to the discovery of a black hole. What lessons can be learnt for the Healthy Brain Study from his experience?
13.00 Registration & welcome
13.15 Opening by Han van Krieken, Rector Magnificus Radboud University Nijmegen
13.30 A short update on the Healthy Brain Study by Lucy Overbeek, Project Manager of the Healthy Brain Study
13.45 An Inspiring Example of Interdisciplinary Research – Brief lecture by and Interview with Heino Falcke, Professor of Astrophysics and Radio Astronomy
14.45 Towards Horizon Europe 2021-2027 - Wilfried Reincke, EU Liaison Officer for Radboud University. Senior advisor for European research & innovation grants (e.g. Horizon2020). He and Charlotte Oomen, Radboud Valorisation, are happy to answer your questions about grant applications.
15.15 The Healthy Brain Experience (a tour of the Healthy Brain Study lab) and drinks
Are you looking forward to hearing about Professor Falcke’s experiences? Do you want to learn more about how to approach team science and apply this to the Healthy Brain Study? Do you need help with specific grant applications? Data acquisition for the Healthy Brain Study will have started by the time this meeting takes place. You can, therefore, experience the full experimental set-up by attending our meeting and register here!
The Healthy Brain Study is a unique, long-term study carried out by Radboud University, Radboudumc and the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, together with other organizations, and volunteers in their thirties.
The more we know about the brain, the more questions we can answer about how we function in our daily lives.
The Healthy Brain Study will investigate which social, biological and environmental factors influence the brain. Scientists can use the results to conduct new studies to resolve social issues. These can involve questions such as: how can I identify and prevent an upcoming burnout? With this new knowledge, we hope to learn how people can become happier, fitter, more self-reliant and more productive. We also aim to contribute to a more sustainable and affordable healthcare system.
We can all make a valuable contribution to this important research. That's why we want to involve organizations and entrepreneurs in Nijmegen and the surrounding area. With the data collected and research questions answered we can support the development of new innovations and encourage positive social impacts.
Our partners so far:
- Gemeente Nijmegen
- Radboud Universiteit
- Max Planck Instituut
If you are interested in collaborating in this exciting and innovative research project, please contact:
Arthur Willemsen, Business Developer Healthy Brain Study
Team science makes a difference!
For centuries, the individual, independent scientist – the genius – has been performing research on his own. However, nowadays, only focusing on this way of doing research is insufficient for resolving many questions of present-day science. Instead, we also need larger, systematic studies executed by teams of experts that go beyond collaborations between independent researchers. The Healthy Brain Study stimulates team science. Project leader Guillen Fernandez explains in his blog why we need this rebalancing towards ‘team science’ to achieve better results and better working conditions for the people involved.